How Obedience Should Work In Our Lives
It is always a source of joy when we witness men and women obey the gospel of Christ! But it also causes us sorrow when these obedient souls do not arise from the watery grave of baptism to live the new life by faithful attendance to the services of the church or give other evidence that they have changed their lives. Living for Christ and being baptized are so connected that it is not correct to have one without the other. Let us list a simple explanation of how obedience should work in our lives.
1. Hearing the gospel should destroy man’s interest in sin (Rom. 10:17).
2. Believing the gospel destroys the pleasure of sin (John 8:24).
3. Repentance destroys the practice of sin, rendering one dead to the practice of sin (2 Peter 3:9).
4. Confession destroys allegiance to sin. It is a vow that we are no longer of the world (Rom. 10:9).
5. Baptism destroys the guilt of sin (Col. 2:12; Rom. 6:17-18). Paul wrote to the Colossians: “...seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.” Col. 3:9-10
Hence, we should see the magnificent power of God’s Word in our lives.
!!! Welcome to Lay Lake church of Christ !!!